Pumpkin Cake with Mascarpone Frosting & Chocolate Ganache
It was the first time I used pumpkin purée in baking. And to say that I am amazed is to say nothing! I didn’t expect it would turn out so good! Because the cake uses pumpkin purée, its texture is moist and the thickness of the cake layers doesn’t make it hearty. A hint of cinnamon and spices go with pumpkin just perfect ! And if you are not a big pumpkin fan – don’t worry, it doesn’t have that distinct pumpkin flavor, in the baked batter there is only a sweetness left. And I can not say a couple of words about mascarpone frosting. Really, it is my favourite – light and reasonably sweet. Together they make a heavenly combination for a perfect cake.
To sum up – this pumpkin cake will be the best choice for autumn season. It is cosy and homey for a family evening and appropriate enough to any kind of celebration.
with Mascarpone Frosting & Chocolate Ganache
makes 8 inch (20 cm) cake
for the cake
2 and 1/2 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 big eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups (one 15 oz can) pumpkin purée
for mascarpone frosting
250 g mascarpone, room temperature
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
3-5 tbsp powdered sugar (to your taste)
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (70 ml ) heavy whipping cream
for chocolate ganache
100 g semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
To make the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Butter and lightly flour three 8 inch cake pans.
3. In a bowl of the stand mixer (or hand mixer) whisk sugar and oil for a few minuter, add eggs, one at a time. Mix in pumpkin purée until well combined.
4. In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
5. Slowly, in a few batches, add dry mixture into the wet mixture. Mix well.
6. Dived the batter between 3 pans, bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
7.Let cool in a pan for 20 minutes, than invert onto the wire rack and let cool completely before decorating.
To make the mascarpone frosting
1. Beat together mascarpone and butter for a few minutes, until cream.
2.Add in powdered sugar and beat for a couple more minutes.
3. Add the heavy cream whip until desired consistency (you don’t want it to be runny)
To make the ganache
1. Add chopped chocolate to a bowl
2. Heat heavy cream until it starts to bubble around the edges (but not boiling)
3. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and leave for 30 seconds. Then stir until the chocolate completely melts.
1. Level the cake layers with a serrated knife.
2. Put the first cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1/2 of the mascarpone frosting.
3. Put the second layer and the other 1/2 of the frosting.
4. Pour chocolate ganache on top.